BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Net Gen./ Digital Natives

The Net Gen. and the Digital Natives are one in the same. They both:
1) learn by doing rather than thinking something through first
2) like working in teams (I have always observed this in labs)
3) like graphics and as little text as possible
4) want to be able to access information quickly
5) want to know the intended goal but to achieve it by random access--instead of the traditional
step by step approach.
6) they love multitasking--I never see my son doing just one thing
7) they prefer games to serious work
Today's students are different. I can tell that from my son (younger than the Net Gens) and my daughter (a Net Gen.). Maybe that is why I don't think the idea stated by Dr. Bruce Berry, in the article by Marc Prensky, that different kinds of experiences lead to different brain structures is radical. I think people sometimes label concepts, people and things "radical", when they don't want to accept an observed change, a change that will not be going away.
These changes in technology have affected our students. I hope most of the schools can afford the technology available that will help us educate our students by engaging them in learning activities that are both social and learner centered.
I am concerned that the Net Gen. and future generations are too impatient on all fronts. There are some things that just take time and practice, like learning an instrument. Not all material that has to be learned can be in a game format. I am also not in favor of word banks on test. Students will say they know enough of the material to guess when they see the word bank on the test. I really believe that it is important to incorporate three steps for long term learning, hearing, seeing (by reading) and doing.

0 comments: